Tuesday 4 September 2012

A dress out of this world!

I know this isn't really children related but I love my doctor Who dress and feel compelled to share.  :)

Ta Da

 I really love the rockabilly swing dress kind of style and when I found this Doctor Who material I was determined to make it into my very first homemade dress.

There is a really good pattern for beginners on BurdaStyle but I decided to make my own pattern. My favourite dress is my cherry print dress which has a perfect comftable fit so I used this as a guide.




To make a pattern I traced the shapes of each section on the bodice of my dress and added an extra cm for seams. I left out the zip at the front and the back of the dress. Instead I made a elasticated back.
I am a complete novice and have only just taught myself how to use the sewing machine so I made a mock version first using a old duvet cover. Once this was right I drew my pattern on the lining and the Doctor Who material, cut each panel and stitched them together.


front and side panels

panels stitched together

I forgot to take pictures during this project so I dont have any pictures of the back panel. The back panel was simply a rectangular panel with 4 pieces of elastic the length of the material when  fully stretched threaded into pockets sewn along the material. To finish the bodice I used black material to trim the top.

I then attached the skirt. I made this a full circle skirt and attached a frill I made with black material and lace


No comments:

Post a Comment